Sunday, July 7, 2019

For Better or Best.

"For Better or Best"

"And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone--- even alcohol."


I have absolutely zero control over others. For me to believe I have powers to make or break someone else's recovery or sobriety is asinine. To counter that notion, I have to know that no human power could have relieved me of my addiction. Meaning that no one has power over my sobriety, my recovery. Seems like a very straight forward & simple concept but it has taken me some years to embrace that mantra.



I have lost displaced more people out of my life this last year than in my entire existence. This is not a statement that I am proud of though I have invariably become accustomed to the "for better or best" rationale of the present population at large. 




 Does anyone stay around through hard times anymore? Not just in marriage but in working relationship of any type? Parents, siblings, offspring, friends, & associates...


 It used to mean something in a different era when a vow of "For better or worse" was asked, and the reply was "I do." 

Growing up before the internet & cellphone boom, I don't recall ever questioning whom my friends were, whom had my back, & whom didn't.
 
It seems now in this modern era of mood stabilizer commercials, self improvement books, personal awareness therapy, memes to apply to any situation, endless photo editing filters, & passive aggressive social media posts that if any aspect gets "worse" we get the fuck out escaping as fast as possible. 



Long gone are the olden days. These are the new days. The days of endless options & variety right on your touch screen. The days of online courtships, probably multiple ones simultaneously ... it was something special that you were the lucky one when the girl in your class that you had a crush on passed hand written notes back n' forth all day. Now, you might think your lucky if the girl on your newsfeed you have a crush on likes your photo, accepts your direct message request, replies back & forth with what you feel is flirty banter... but how many dozens of you are there in the age of dispensable people & throwaway relationships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment